Monday, August 22, 2005

Stripping, let me tell you about stripping, ;-)

Let me first say, that this post, almost took as long as the stripping. One of the first remodelling projects I started back in 2002 was stripping the paint from the woodwork. There was a heat, lots of chemicals, a big mess, and this was before any paint was removed, ;-).

As you can see, the painted stairs looked fine, BUT, the wood was painted, let me say that I (and the roommate who have shared this place over the last few years), could have lived with the paint, but let me re-iterate, THE WOOD WAS PAINTED.



Even though, this project lasted more than two years, (and counting), this summer was the big push, even though they are not completely finished, they are at least within striking distance of finishing. The first big push happened when I reassembled the front, with the boards that were in my furnace room, I had to get them out of there, but that is another story, let me just say that hot water tanks can really leak.



And how do they look, was it worth all the work? I think so and the final result is a little more clear. Although, I still don't know what colours to paint, and I still have to put more stain on to cover up all the wood putty I used, (filling a crack with caulking and painting is way easier but so less satisifying), and then a few layers of hard varnish, and a lot of care when painting (the walls and ceiling, not the wood).

Lesson learned: Stripping is not an easy job, ;-).

2 comments:

Michael Shaver said...

Hey Cim, I like post title and I like the varnish.

-Mike
ps (It looks like your comments section has been hijacked for blog ads)

Cimeron said...

Does this mean they don't count towards being popular, ;-)